The Fond du Lac Continuation School was established in 1912, and was first located above Model Laundry on the corner of Macy Street and Forest Avenue. Initial curriculum included drawing and cooking, and quickly expanded to include barbering, auto mechanics, machine shop, sewing, home economics and business education. The continued addition of new offerings eventually required the school to move to a new and larger space.
In 1917, the school board of the recently-renamed Fond du Lac Vocational School, requested $60,000 from the city for the purpose of building a new school. The request was approved, and that same year property was purchased from the Harrison Postal Rack Company at the corner of Portland and Sheboygan streets. The vocational school remained at this location for the next 47 years.
Additions to the building were completed in 1921 and 1925, and the 1920s and 1930s were devoted to improving the facilities and updating equipment.
Even after an annex was added in 1948, the school continued to outgrow itself. The decision was made to build a new school on the old airport property on Johnson Street and, in 1964, the Fond du Lac Technical Institute, as it was called, moved to that location. The College underwent two more name changes – Moraine Park Technical Institute in 1971 and Moraine Park Technical College as it is known today. The Fond du Lac Campus remains at the Johnson and National Street location.
Alumni and staff of Moraine Park Technical College make up parts of the TEDxFondduLac team and we are honored for their partnership in bringing this event to fruition!